Monday, September 19, 2016

My Recovery

Today marks 11 weeks since my ankle fracture and 8 weeks since my blood clot and pulmonary embolism.  My ankle is so much better but that being said, it's still swollen and looks remarkably bigger than my good ankle.  My orthopedic doctor told me it would take 6 months before I didn't even think about it anymore but something tells me it may take me longer than that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm staying positive but I'm also real.  I think my "bad" ankle will always look different than my uninjured left ankle.  I also think my right leg will always have some swelling in it, due to my blood clot.  These days I'm sporting a compression sock to help with the swelling.  But truly I am SO much better than I was 8 weeks ago.  I'm walking and getting around pretty good.  Instead of walking for exercise (because it hurts) I'm swimming.  I'm really enjoying the water and it's less taxing on my leg and ankle.  Some days I find I'm still short of breath - today is one of those days.  My doctor told me that eventually my breathing will go back to normal.  I am so thankful that I'm alive.  I shudder to think what could have happened if I would have continued to ignore that unbearable chest pain I was having.  I'm thankful that I didn't need surgery and I'm thankful I'm getting around okay.  One should never take their mobility for granted! 

No comments: