Friday, January 5, 2024

Nick's accident


 On Jan. 3 Nick was driving home from a friends when he hit a tree.  He was driving on a rocky county road, too fast I might add, and lost control of his vehicle and this happened.  It didn't help that his tires were balled.  In fact Mike and I were planning on getting him new tires this month.  Mike received the dreaded phone call from Nick about 9:45 pm.  Nick was calm and when Mike and I got to him he was out of the truck and his friends had arrived to help us get the truck home.  It was immediately clear Nick was okay - Praise God.  Nick, with his friends, Mike and Jay got the truck on a trailer and brought it home to our driveway where it currently sits.  The truck is totalled and we only had liability insurance on it so it's a wash.  Years ago when my boys were small an attorney friend of mine that I worked with who had raised his boys once said to me, "Amy, as long as as you can write a check for something, there's no harm done."  It's so true.  This truck can be replaced.  My boy cannot.  I have always appreciated lessons learned wherein the consequences hurt but don't leave a permanent stain on their lives.  Jay had one incident in high school (the signs) and this is Nick's.  Nick will have to figure out how to pay for another truck so he can haul the boat he just sunk thousands of dollars into.  I have complete confident he'll figure it out.  

I am so thankful to God for His hand of protection over Nick.  This accident could have been SO much worse.  The tree Nick hit stopped his truck from going into a creek.  The truck didn't flip.  His friends were rock stars in helping us get the truck home.  Nick had no injuries and thankfully didn't have any kids in the car with him.  The list goes on and on.  I am also thankful that it was just enough to wake Nick up.  He has common sense but he's reckless.  He's a typical l7 year old boy whose frontal lobe hasn't developed all the way.  I know I am not even aware of all the things God has protected my children from.  Thank you God for hand of protection over my boys.  

No comments: