Friday, October 24, 2014

Jay's big accomplishment

Jay has been playing basketball since 4th grade but this year he actually had to try out in order to make the 7th grade team.  Weeks leading up to try outs I had bad dreams that he would not make it but then I also knew I had absolutely no control over the situation.  I prayed that the coaches would see Jay's potential and strengthens but I also prayed that if he didn't make the team that God would fill that void with something else in Jay's life.  It was a true test of simply trusting God and as the weeks went on I was filled with more peace.  That doesn't mean I didn't worry, I'm human after all.  Jay walked out of try-outs on Wednesday with an envelope in hand.  I was waiting in the car and saw his arms go up in the air.  In that moment I was like a balloon that had just been popped.  I was so relieved for Jay.  This was one situation where Jay's hard work paid off.  His passion is basketball and he participated in a lot of bball camps this summer.  Since we were right on the heels of XC, it was a good reminder that perhaps XC is not Jay's thing but it did serve a purpose.  Jay can run but he's not in love with running long distances.  XC certainly got him conditioned for basketball.  Although I am happy for Jay, my heart is heavy for many boys who did not make it and I've had time to reflect once again on my love/hate relationship with sports.  Times have changed and everything is performance driven.  Jay was one of seven 7th graders that made the team.  Eight 6th graders were chosen to play up with the 7th graders - kind of a hard pill to swallow for the 7th graders who got cut.  One boy in particular has played with Jay since 4th grade.  Basketball is the only sport he plays and he loves it.  He's not the best player, he's not the fastest player but he's all heart and he got cut this year; it breaks my heart.  Sports has gotten so cut throat and if Jay thought XC was pressure, just wait until he realizes he's competing for play time with eight 6th graders.  But on the flip side, sports has provided such an outlet for my boys.  I've noticed that since Jay has been in middle school and been more actively involved in sports, he's truly at his best.  Sports can provide a confidence booster.  I've seen what football has done for Nick this season and it's been wonderful to watch.  Additionally, sports is a motivator.  I can guarantee Jay will work hard to make sure he stays eligible (academically) during the basketball season and as a side note, Jay has never been ineligible.  I don't write that to brag but rather just validating my point that sports often times motivates kids to keep their grades up.  Finally, I am a mother of two boys with ADHD.  Sports have given both my boys something to focus on and keep them out of trouble.  I've tried to balance our busy schedules with down time because every kid needs down time.  Next week basketball will be in full swing for Jay and Nick.  I'm excited to see how their seasons play out!

No comments: