Sunday, September 27, 2015

Farm weekend

 We had the best weekend.  As I write this blog it is 8:00 on Sunday night and it was a whirlwind weekend.  We left on Saturday morning with our neighbors and friends, the Walsh's and went to her parents farm which is about 2 hours away.  The boys LOVED every second of it.  They were in their element. 
 It's hard to tell by this picture but we helped herd cattle.  I learned so much, like, the calves have to be weaned from their momma's because the momma cows are pregnant again.  The calves bawled all night and I'm told they will bawl like that for the next week.  It made me sad for them but of course all the guys quickly dismissed my sadness and told me to remember I eat them which of course I do.  Working on a farm is really Jay's passion.  It was the first time Jay had ever herded cattle and our friend, who is also a vet, noticed that Jay was a natural at it.  I agreed.  He knew exactly what to do without taking any direction.  I'm thinking a career in agriculture for that boy of mine. 
 Our friends have 420 acres, in other words, lots of wide, open spaces.  The boys loved every second of it. 

 Jay and Nick loved driving the Kubota around.  Jami's parents were ridiculously nice and let the boys drive all their ATV's and their Kubota.  Driving the Kubota was one of Nick's favorite things to do.
                                                        Four wheeling with his good friend, N.

 Feeding horses and fishing.  Seriously, this was better than Disneyland for my kids. 

 Here are the poor, sad calves.  I can still hear them moooooing in my head - mooooing for their momma.  I was told that they have been known to break down the gate in order to get to their momma's and then everyone has to do the same job over again the next day and separate them again.  Luckily, that did not happen while we were there. 
 We joked that Jay's legs looked like toothpicks in these jeans.  He wore his crazy big cowboy boots and toothpick jeans.  That is one stylish looking 13 year old. 
Father and son.  Notice how they are almost the same height.  But in all seriously, even though I am so tired tonight (Jay and I drove 3.5 hours from where we were to his football game in Chillicothe today) my heart is full.  I thank God tonight for His beautiful earth, wide open spaces, the love of family and friends and our physically healthy bodies to enjoy it all.  God is good. 

No comments: