Monday, September 14, 2015

Nick's new love

Sometimes in life I've been known to get in a rut.  I know, imagine that, right?  Last week we took Jay and Nick to listen to other kids who struggle with dyslexia.  Going to this forum was really stepping out of our box.  It was our only free night at home and Jay missed his first small group at church to go but I felt it was important they go.  So, we went and it was worth the sacrifice of our time.  First off, the boys were able to hear from other kids who have the same struggles as they do.  As a mom I learned a few things and they really sunk in with me.  The dyslexia "expert" said that dyslexic kids are forced to read books way below their intellect level because they simply can't decode in their reading abilities.  I wanted to stand up and clap.  It's frustrating to know Nick struggles with decoding low level books but can comprehend high level books.  This is the same kid who in 2nd grade researched how to make snow for his artic project and just recently searched you tube to find out how to make his four wheeler shine (turns out paint thinner mixed with some kind of oil does the trick).   This is also the same kid who hung on every word of "Chronicles of Narnia" when it was read out loud to him in third grade. During the meeting last week the speaker mentioned audio books and it was like my ah-ha moment.  I berated myself for not thinking of audio books earlier!  Mike downloaded the complete "Chronicles of Narnia" series on Nick's Kindle and he's been listening to it non stop.  We are traveling now for football and Nick can be found in the back seat with his head phones on listening to his book.  At night I find him snuggled under his blanket listening to "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," all of it coming alive to him.  I love to read.  I love books.  Who knew that maybe, just maybe, despite Nick's obstacles in reading he might just appreciate and love reading through audio books.  

No comments: