Monday, February 8, 2016

Your gut

No, this blog is not about my expanding waist line and it's not about anything gross.  What it is about is listening to that little voice inside you.  I have many faults but overall when my gut tells me something, it's usually right.  However, in relationships, I tend to ignore it and as a result it's ended very badly for me (Fault # 1) and might I add, it's been catastrophic more than once.  I'm 41 and I'm bound and determined not to ignore my gut feelings when it comes to people I choose to spend my time with.  If I had a teenage daughter I would tell her that in her life the truest, most sincere and beautiful relationships come from relationships with girlfriends.  I have been blessed immeasurably with women in my life who bring me up when I'm down, know my strengths (they know I make a killer cosmo) and weaknesses (they would never ask me to help them with their taxes) and love me just because I'm me.  My friends are a class act!  There isn't enough room on my blog to write about the classy things my friends have done for me, especially in the season of my life I'm currently in.  Since I've had some relationships with so-called friends end badly more than once I go back to how I felt when I first met them and I come to the same conclusion.  My gut screamed at me, this doesn't feel right!  Time would pass and there were things and times I'd enjoy with them but I would tell my kids that if anyone takes an underhanded jab at you, they aren't your friend.  And there is a difference between my girlfriends and I having a laugh together over the fact that when I sign my name to their cards I always screw up what I'm writing and have to cross out a word or two and start over again.  It's my trade mark and they love that about me.  But again, your gut will tell you when the jab is mean spirited.  And those kind of jabs aren't kind, they aren't funny and you just need to walk away.  There doesn't need to be any hate involved, just walk away and be done.  But yet, I've gone back for more, thinking and hoping that the cruelty was a fluke and ignoring my gut telling me it wasn't.  My mom has a famous line and I love it.  When a person shows you who they are, believe them.  My mom also said I usually had to learn things the hard way and boy have I ever.  I'm too old not to listen to my gut especially since it's been right 95% of the time.  It's time I pay attention and act on my gut feelings.  I have high hopes for my 40's!

No comments: