Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Happy 16th Birthday, Jay

On Sunday we celebrated Jay's birthday with family.  Today is filled with getting his driver's license and playing a basketball game out of town tonight.  We did all of our celebrating on Sunday and getting his license on his actual birthday is celebration enough for Jay.  I wrote this for Jay and read it out loud to him and our family on Sunday night.

In honor of your 16th Birthday

Jay, just in case your dad and I don't mention it enough, you were a challenging baby and toddler.  You were colicky and cried a lot.  Aunt Mimi can remember nights that she would come over to give dad and I a break and by the time we got home she was sweating profusely from bouncing you on the bed.  Thankfully God blessed you with being adorable so we were able to look past the crying.  We really didn't know any different.  You were the first grandchild and Nana would say you were a whole lot like your momma in that regard.  She would also say of all her grandchildren you were the busiest.  She remembers literally running through the "Wheels of Time" museum when you were 6.  That's what you did, you ran.  Fast forward into toddlerhood.  Every line I drew, you crossed it.  Your dad always said you were angry until you learned how to open the refrigerator door and demand juice.  
Since you are my firstborn, there are a few things I've learned from you.  I've learned how to be more patient,  I've learned more about selflessness, and I've learned that I can try to do my best with you but I still have epic failures, like your first day of detassling, "Is it hot out there, Jay?"  And who can forget my rootbeer chicken fiasco.  I won't even go into all my cooking failures.  I hope that as you grow up you'll look past many of my short comings, after all the two of us really are "good enough" people.  I hope one day you'll say, "Mom really tried, she loved God, she loved me and Nick, and she loved dad.  Good enough."  I've also been exposed to some different vocabulary from you.  I've learned that anything cool is a badger.  Who knew?  I've learned that using the words of Jesus himself is quite clever, especially when one is trying to get out of doing something.  When I've asked you to set the table I've been met with, "Woman tis not my hour."  And I've learned that many of our Siebert family stories get placed in your "cool story jar."  I've learned that I finally have someone in this house who understands just how abnormal dad really is and yet we still love him.  I mean who else can figure the physics of time like dad?  "No that's not a short cut, Nick, and here's why."  As a family we're then taken into a  lesson of physics and time, at which point you once again pull out your cool story jar.  I've learned that you and your brother are more similar than what either of you care to recognize or acknowledge.  I like to think the 2 of you will be able to build a bridge in your relationship as you grow into adulthood, but that is something I've put in God's hands, which leads me into my prayer for you. 
Jay, my prayer for you on your 16th birthday is for God's protection of you.  I pray God gives you the confidence to know who you are and what you stand for.  I pray that your identity is in Christ and I pray He places godly friends in your life as He has so graciously done for your dad and I.  I pray one day you find a spouse who loves Jesus and adores you like I have adored your dad - even during his physics lessons.  So have fun and enjoy this new adventure, just be careful, please.  

Love you, Jay.  Mom

No comments: