Thursday, June 6, 2019

Working for a living

My family is in full swing for the summer and our transition from school to summer has been flawless (and I NEVER say that).  A quick report on what each of us is doing.  2019 has been the year of remodels for Mike.  He started a remodel job in January which ended in April, just in time to pick up another remodel job which will probably wrap up in August.  It keeps him busy but can be challenging since he's only one person.  Mike is also working on our concrete patio.  More to come on that later.  Jay is working full time.....I repeat.....working full time, in addition to still running his pressure washing business.  I could not be prouder of him.  I'm so proud of him I'm sure I'm annoying him but really that boy is something else.  He is working for a landscaper.  He gets up every morning at 6 a.m., works all day in the sun and comes home, relaxes and starts all over again the next day, just like a "real" adult.  He tells us he doesn't mind it.  He enjoys being outside and it beats food service, he says.  He is already the color of our dogs - copper brown and he is getting quite buff from all the heavy lifting.  The landscaper who hired Jay is mom's neighbor.  I ran into him the other night and told him how much Jay is enjoying working for him.  He told me that most kids he hires around Jay's age have no common sense and it's so nice to hire a kid with some common sense.  All those summers and odd jobs working for his dad paid off too because Jay already knows what to do.  Today he cut stone - something he's all too familiar with.  The money he's making is very nice!  It gives him confidence and more independence.  Nick is mowing for nana.  With all the rain we've had it requires him to usually mow twice a week.  He is also filling his time with his buddy, Mason.  The two of them go back and forth all day long.  Nick, me and mom leave for FL in two days.  It's a short trip but we are looking forward to it.  I am busy with work but all is good in our house and I'm very thankful for that.

No comments: