Friday, June 21, 2019

Nick goes to camp

Nick went to church camp again this year (his 3rd year in a row).  I dropped him off on Sunday and picked him up tonight.  He was not happy about going this year.  As much as I tried I could not get a friend to go with him this time.  The first year Nick went he didn't know a soul but I've learned there is a big difference between an 11 year old boy and a 13 year old boy.  He complained the entire drive to camp but I held my ground, the boy was going to church camp - period!  Nick has always made friends easily but this year I was worried.  Thirteen has been challenging for everyone who knows and loves Nick.  He has so many wonderful qualities.  He is a wonderful encourager when it comes to sports.  When he didn't make state this year for track, he went to the meet anyway and cheered on his friends.  He has a wonderful sense of humor and he's well liked at school and does well in school.  But there are two things going on with Nick right now that need desperate attention, and I have done my motherly job in brining them to his attention, despite his dislike in me doing so (if your mother won't tell you, who will?).  He thinks he's an expert in everything and he is highly critical of others or as Nick likes to say, a judgement jerk.  So, fast forward to camp.  There is a boy who goes to Nick's school and also goes to our church.  At one time Nick was in the same small group as this boy and it didn't go well.  When I dropped Nick off at camp we saw this boy in line for registration.  Nick immediately started to freak out.  I told Nick that if this boy was in his group at camp then clearly God was trying to teach him something and Nick had better pay attention!  I dropped Nick off at camp and basically said, "Peace Out, see you on Friday."  When I picked Nick up today lo and behold this boy was sure enough in his group and this particular camp is close quarters!  As Nick and I got into the car I fully expected him to implode but he didn't.  He was calm and said the first two days he thought he was going to explode but as the week wore on he learned to just "chill, and roll with it."  This was exactly the lesson I wanted Nick to learn.  It is okay to not always like everyone but it is not okay to be disrespectful to them or have no tolerance for them.  God has such a sense of humor and as I always say He knows way more than me (clearly).  This boy has been has thorn in Nick's side for 2 years  and I think he has finally learned something from this (I hope).  Overall Nick would say it wasn't the best week but I am confident God was working on him this week and my prayer is the seeds were planted!  God is good, all the time.

No comments: