Wednesday, February 3, 2021

My boys

Here we are into February and life is pretty typical for this time of year in Central Illinois except for the fact life still feels different.  Restaurants are just starting to open back up again.  The vaccine is being distributed.  My sister and mom get their vaccines this week which is very encouraging news.  I've thought many times how Jay's life looks so different than mine did when I was 19, 28 years ago.  In many ways he is leaps and bounds ahead of me in terms of his maturity.  His common sense never ceases to amaze me but then I remember he is Mike Siebert's son. I am loving having just a little more time with Jay and he's been a joy to have around.  I see him molding into the man God created him to be. He has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh daily. He's also my go to guy for new country music.  We eat sushi together, the only two in the house who really like it.  I love that we finally have something in common.  Ha! Things are a little unsettled for him career wise but he still has time to figure that out. He's currently unemployed until landscaping picks back up again - probably sometime in March. He took the test to become an electrician in January and sadly he did not pass.  His focus remains on the trades.  He can take the electrical test again in 6 months.  He is also interested in being a lineman.  I have no doubt something will work out and it will all fall into place. 

 Sports started back up about two weeks ago - after the Inauguration.  Imagine that?  Yes that was sarcasm.  I couldn't resist.  Nick's plate is full. He is playing basketball in a mask none the less.  The struggle is real. He is also playing football.  Games start in March.  He is signed up for drivers education in March and our school district is starting a bass fishing team this spring - yay! I told Nick we'll fit in what we can and what we can't, then we can't.  If I learned anything from this pandemic it's all about balance.  Sports and activity are good but they aren't the be all, end all.  Nick continues to be an avid outdoorsman. And truly when I reflect on the last 10 months I would say it has offered Nick the most growth into learning and doing what he loves - being outside.  He fished all last spring.  He bought an awesome kayak with a motor last summer and fished everyday. This fall he got a tree stand to start hunting.  He's taking his hunter safety course so he can officially hunt next fall. He also asked neighbors to hunt on their property.  The boy is resourceful.  This winter he started ice fishing.  I HATE it.  I just worry about him.  He has a band of "brothers" that go with him and they are always making plans for their next adventure. I imagine the good Lord looks down at Nick and says....Yep, that boy is doing exactly what I created him for!  

No comments: