Thursday, March 11, 2021

One year, 5 days, 11 lbs

 One might wonder what the heck my blog title is all about.  A year ago today the W.H.O (World Health Organization) deemed the Coronavirus a worldwide pandemic and life as we knew it changed.  By March 13 our daily living came to a screeching halt.  Looking back at that time, it was scary.  We didn't know enough about the virus.  We were told to stay in our homes for 15 days which would allow time to "slow the spread" and not overwhelm our hospitals.  What was supposed to be 15 days turned into 30 and then into 60 and here we are one year later and in Illinois we still aren't opened for business at full capacity.  Texas, South Dakota, Mississippi and soon to be Wyoming are the only states that are fully open.  It's hard to say how long us Illinoisan's will be running around with masks over our faces but honestly that's the least of my worries. This past year I ate and drank too much.  I consoled myself when I was bored (which was often) with food and vodka.  As a result I have put on 11 lbs in one year.  I finally came face to face with the number on the scale over the weekend and when I realized I was one muffin away from 200 lbs.  I knew I was in trouble in the fall but I continued to ignore it but then I started hating myself - like really hating myself.  As I'm writing this I can literally hear my girlfriends saying, "Amy you are too hard on yourself, you're beautiful." It's one of the many reasons I love my girlfriends but the fact is if I'm not confident and feel good about myself then what good am I to myself, my family and my God?  The numbers on the scale were enough to wake me up and prompt me to take action.  Thankfully I've spent the last few months educating myself on healthy eating.  Thank you you tube! My focus the last few months has been on women over 50.  I'll be 47 in May but close enough.  The reality is if you want to stay healthy in your 50's you must eat healthy.  The consistent theme over and over was plant based eating 90% of the time to maintain optimal health.  Five days ago I started eating healthy incorporating plant based foods with fish and chicken.  I've also committed to 30 minutes of exercises everyday.  I've lost 5 lbs.  But, circle back in another month and we'll see how I've done.  My goal is to lose 21 lbs. One thing I have reduced but not given up is vodka.  I make sure I've reserved enough calories to enjoy 3 fluid oz. of vodka every night.  How do I feel after 5 days?  Great.  I'm moving better and sleeping better. 

No comments: