Tuesday, April 20, 2021

What's Normal.....What's Not

 It's snowing here in Central Illinois today.  I wish I could say it's not normal but sadly it kind of is.  We usually get one snow in April, as annoying as it may be.  Last year I believe it snowed on April 16.  It was more frustrating last year because we were locked up in our homes.  Today it will snow and by tomorrow it will all be melted.  By next week it will be 70 degrees.  Such is life in Illinois.  We are one year into this pandemic.  Mike and I have been vaccinated.  We made the choice because we travel so often.  Nick has been in school since August but has been quarantined twice.  My heart truly aches for the children across the country who have not been in school in over a year.  Nick's most recent quarantine is going on now.  As I type this he's upstairs in his room remote learning.  There is nothing normal about it and again I can't express how thankful I am he didn't have to remote learn all year.  I am thankful for fishing because during both quarantines he would remote learn and then head out to fish.  The outdoors continue to be his solace. This is even more important now since the football season came to an abrupt end due to Covid outbreaks.  During quarantine he has to fill out a daily symptom tracker - not normal. We are still walking around with diapers....I mean masks, over our faces.  I'm sick of all the shaming.  Recently Mike was at a store where a person was not wearing a mask.  Another person walked up to the non masked person and started yelling at her - telling her 500,000 people have died and how dare they go anywhere in public without a mask.  Thankfully my sweet husband intervened.  I will add Mike was wearing a mask.  Mike politely told the gentleman to stop bullying the woman.  How have we become so judgmental and consumed by our own fear that we think we're entitled to treat people this way?  Sadly It happens all the time now.  Jay and his girlfriend went out to dinner last night.  He was so cute about it.  And it was good for my momma's heart to see them do normal dating things which has not been easy during Covid.  They have been dating since after New Years but before Jay's birthday.  Either they don't feel like going out to eat or they haven't had time but last night they did.  Jay said it felt really good to go out to eat with his girlfriend.  Jay has more exciting news but I'll write about that in another blog.....

I try everyday to have a grateful heart.  Even today during the snow I am thankful for my warm home and my job.  I am even thankful for Nick's company today. 

No comments: