Wednesday, August 18, 2021

First day of Sophomore year

The first day of school has sure changed for me from getting littles ready and out the door to this....only one child left in high school.  Nick set his alarm this morning.  I made his breakfast and his ride had him picked up by 6:50 and he was off.  There were some summers I could not wait for the boys to go back to school.  This was not one of those summers.  The house is eerily quiet this morning.  Nick kept himself busy this summer, as only Nick can but it's still quiet, knowing he doesn't need a ride anywhere or asking me what there is to eat (like 20 times a day).  
Nick and Chase spent a lot of time together this summer, especially the last few weeks as football is back!  Chase's mom and I trade off rides and it works well.  Out here it just takes a village sometimes.  

My prayer for Nick this school year is that he is a light unto others.  That God places godly people in his path and that God leads me somewhere where I can get Nick "plugged" into a youth ministry/group. It's challenging out here and Covid certainly hasn't made things any easier.

This school year is certainly brighter than last year but our kids are still going back to school in masks thanks our governor.  Apparently parental choice doesn't mean anything anymore.  Our school district voted weeks ago that masks would be optional (in other words left up to parents) but our governor issued another one of his "mandates."  I've told Nick to make the best of it.  Our administrators and school board have made decisions based on what I believe to be in the best interests of our kids with what the governor has threatened them with.  Everyone is just trying to do the best they can at this point but the divisions are becoming more and more apparent.  It's worrisome but that's for another blog.  Until then I can only hope our kids will be out of masks soon.   
 

No comments: