Monday, July 17, 2023

What's good and what's challenging

 Lately all I do is post pictures of what I'm doing and where I've been.  There hasn't been a whole lot of substance with my blog.  Every week that goes by I tell myself I'll sit down and write but I don't.  When the boys were little it was easier to blog because they provided me with so much to write about.  Moving forward I'm going to commit a "deep dive blog post" at least once a week.  It's good for me.  It keeps up my writing skills and it forces me to be honest with myself and gain some perspective.  There are a lot of good things going on in my life right now.  I'm healthy and so is my family.  Jay and Nick are thriving and Jay seems to be enjoying life in his career of choice.  Mike's kept busy with home inspecting and Nick works like a crazy person at a fabrication shop.  Nick and Mike are preparing to go to fishing nationals in South Carolina.  Given what happened last July (moving mom, breaking her femur, having surgery and contacting Covid) I am incredibly thankful for what has been so far a peaceful July 2023.  As with all things in life there are some challenges.  Although my mom is doing well there has been a definite and noticable decline since her fall and subsequent surgery last July.  She can walk but not well and she gets around mostly by wheelchair.  Thankfully her speech is still good because as mom says if there comes a time when she can no longer communicate she says she's done and I believe her.  I try not to focus on how hard it is for mom to get around, how diabetes has wrecked havoc on her body and all the things she use to love to do but can no longer do.  As mom's P.O.A. I focus on what needs to be done.  Every so often, however, memories float into my brain and I'm reminded of the vibrant woman my mother use to be.  Another challenge right now is my job.  I am so incredibly thankful for my job but things are slow now and it's a bit unsettling.  I try not to dwell on what my job once was but I miss the days when building relationships was a big part of my job.  

For all intents and purposes I'm an empty nester.  The boys still live with us but Jay is an adult and Nick requires very little parenting.  I practically have to beg him to make breakfast for him and most days he tells me it's not necessary.  I enjoy being able to do what I want these days but at the same time it takes some adjustment and usually I don't know what to do with myself and I can't make a decision.  What I am incredibly thankful for is my marriage.  My marriage is probably the best it's ever been.  I think there's several reasons.  Mike and I have always liked each other.  There is really nothing we like doing together.  It's true.  However, no matter what activity he picks or I pick, we enjoy being together and for us, that's always been enough.  Ever since Mike was saved seven years ago the people who love him the most have been able to witness how God has transformed him.  Mike has a kind soul.  He demands very little of his family and as God shed his layers we've been able to see the man that God always meant for him to be.  As I enter into empty nest phase I'm glad I have Mike by my side.  

The culture these days is another unsettling and challenging obstacle.  I've been reading about the end times in the bible and the more I learn and the more I know the more excited I get.  Sure I still battle with fear but as I often ask myself, "What would I do if I didn't have my faith?"  Probably crawl into the fetal position and cry.  

I am excited to see what the rest of the summer brings! 

No comments: