Monday, November 17, 2014

A heavy heart

I attended a visitation tonight for a 32 year old man who lost his battle to cancer.  His widow is 36 years old and he left behind two young sons.  I live in a small community and in the weeks leading up to this young man's passing I saw God at work.  Fundraisers were organized, food was made, prayers (and I mean lots of prayers) were prayed, kind words were spoken, Christmas was organized for this family and the list goes on and on.  Although I wasn't very close to this family I was fascinated by their courage, their determination and their absolute love of the Lord.  These situations are hard to understand, in fact for our time on earth, we'll never understand why these things happen but as Christians we have great hope and that was probably the only thing that made me smile when all my thoughts were focused on the deep loss this family feels.  As I grow in my own faith I am starting to realize that in fact you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you and God is working through all of us.  It's like the song says, "God put a million doors in this world to walk through, one of those doors is you."  Amen to that. 

No comments: