Thursday, November 20, 2014

A.D.H.D.

Jay and Nick have ADHD and with that diagnosis comes challenges.  However, I know my boys' ADHD is relatively mild compared to many others.  Jay's biggest issue has been and still is his impulsivity.  Nick's biggest issue is the hyperactivity associated with ADHD.  Every morning before school Nick walks/runs on the treadmill for 1/2 mile, nothing strenuous but enough to release some energy before he gets to school.  His teacher tells me it helps him tremendously.  This morning as we were driving to school Nick asks me, "So mom, why do I have to run in the morning if I take that pill that helps me?"  I told Nick he has what is called ADHD and I tell him what it stands for.  His response to me was, "I don't know what the attention problem is but the hyperactivity, well DUH!"  Even Nick knows his hyperactivity is an issue.  Mike has even noticed during basketball practice he struggles with focus.  We've made the switch to no sugar after school.  Another DUH moment but it has helped.  When I think of how I would describe having two boys with ADHD to another parent all I can think to say is get your lifejacket on, get strapped in and be ready for the wild ride.  Oh and keep lots of wine handy!

No comments: