Monday, January 16, 2017

Fifteen is keen

 My "baby" is 15 today.  My grandma use to write me poems on some of my birthdays.  Although I don't have the poem she wrote me when I was 15, I remember she entitled it, "Fifteen is keen!"  So although Jay would think the title of his 15th birthday blog is totally lame, I did it in honor of his great grandma and really, in truth, fifteen is keen!  How does 15 look on Jay........TALL!!!!!  And he's still growing.  Jay was 3 in the picture above.  Could I have possibly imagined what he would look like or be like (below) 12 years later?  I think not.  I was too busy worrying, feeling guilty and questioning myself at every turn.  Jay took an incredible amount of energy in his early years.  I wish I could tell all mothers who have a young Jay to stay obedient, patient, consistent, and most of all calm.  I still have many years of parenting Jay ahead of me, and life has certainly taught me that it can change in an instant, but this boy has been a pleasure to parent (especially these last 4 years). 
 Jay just started driver's ed this past weekend.  He's obsessed with finding a vehicle.  We've told him he needs to come with some "sweat equity" which translates to $3,000.  Needless to say this boy will need a job this summer.  Jay has a dry sense of humor.  His favorite responses these days are, "It is not my hour," (take from Jesus himself) and "I'd love nothing more."  These are his "fun" responses to things I ask him to do.  I respond by rolling my eyes and telling him I don't care, get to it!  He has really come into his own this past year and feels comfortable in his own skin (as much as any 15 year old can feel comfortable in their skin at 15).  I look for any opportunity to spend time with him.  I follow a blogger who recently joked that when her college age son asked her if she could go to lunch, she cancelled a scheduled conference call, threw on a bra, and darted out the door!  I can totally relate.  Spending meaningful time with Jay these days is slim pickings.  He doesn't get excited like he use to when I'd take him to the park or the petting zoo.  Go figure.  
 When I was going through pictures this week in anticipation for Jay's birthday I came across this one.  These two boys have my heart.  Jay and Reece have been friends since they were in second grade (when this picture was taken).  When people tell you that the friends your kids pick is HUGE, they aren't kidding.  I see that more and more as Jay ages.  I find myself praying that both of my boys have a Mary Fox and Mike and Jenny Ausili in their friends.   
Jay and Reece as freshman as their first homecoming.  If I were giving out advice to Jay, and more importantly, if he were listening, which at 15, he's not too interested in what his momma has to say, I'd remind him of who he is.  He is a boy who has been challenged by ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, being 2nd string on his basketball team for years, and if he were to be honest, there have been times he's felt less than (as we all have), but he's risen above all that, and has not allowed those things to define him.  I would tell him to keep God front and center, and I get that at 15, being "godly" isn't the "cool" thing to do, but I'd tell him that based on the choices he's already made, he's doing just that.  I would remind him that when life gets tough, it's not how you started the race, it's how you end and that anything that is worth something from the work he'll do to the friends he will have, the bride he will someday marry (hopefully), to the children he will have a hand at raising, that none of that comes easy - anything that is meaningful is hard work and through God's grace and love, this thing we all call life this side of heaven can be his greatest testament. 

I sure do love you, Jay Michael Siebert!!! 

No comments: