Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Our whirlwind weekend

 I've had a weekend that turned into 4 days of fun!  On Saturday morning my friend, Laura, invited us over for brunch and although I didn't take any pictures, we sure enjoyed ourselves.  The weather was beautiful and the company was even better.  I came home from Laura's, took a shower and geared up for the second round of the night.  I took Nick and his friends (Noah, Calvin and Jake) to SkyZone in Springfield.  The boys had a really good time.  I adore these boys!  Nick has given me a run for my money lately, as all kids can sometimes do, but when I was with these group of boys on Saturday I was reminded that even though some of the choices Nick is making these days stink, he sure has it spot on in picking his friends! 


 We ended the night at Steak 'n Shake.  Again, I so enjoyed eating a meal with these sweet boys! 
 On Sunday we went to church and listened to an amazing sermon.  Our pastor is one in a million.  I spent the afternoon at Shannon's house with Mary!  Another perfect day.  On Monday, I worked.  Yes, I still have to make a living amongst all the fun.  Ausili's and I pulled together a quick evening  on Monday night.  How things change!  Ausili's use to come out every 4th of July and when the boys were little, even as little as 3 years ago, the Ausili's would come out almost every weekend in the summer.  Of our four children, three of them are in high school now - time marches on.  I am just so thankful we all make the effort to get together.  Due to our schedules, we are often pulling together something at the last minute, but it doesn't make it any less meaningful.  I snapped the above picture of the kids and although it's not very good I had to show how grown up they are all getting.  It's mind boggling to me that Faith will be a senior.  Next summer she may not even be around to spend a summer night at what she affectionately calls "the siebert compound."  Crazy.  Jay and Curt will be sophomores and will driving next summer and Nick enters middle school.  Ausili's are the kind of friends whom I pray we grow old with and as times change, we can reflect and remember when. 
 On Monday Nick and Lauren started a rock climbing class together.  I am exceptionally proud of Lauren.  She is making leaps and bounds in conquering her fears, and rock climbing is one of them.  She climbed all the way to the top, listening to us cheer her on. 
 Jay and Luke aren't participating but ran into each other during pick up times. 
 And finally, fourth of July came.  As I blog today I remember vividly waking up last July 5 to my broken ankle and thinking what the heck have I done to myself?  This fourth of July, although fun, was uneventful.  No broken bones sustained this year.  Hallejah!  We had our annual fourth of July parade at Spin Lake, and later in the afternoon we went to Winterland's for their shrimp boil.  We were hindered by rain, but once the rain passed through, it was smooth sailing.

 The shrimp boil!  It is so yummy.  Brooke plans and organizes the boil.  She puts out two big tables, lines them with newspaper and the entire shrimp boil gets dumped on the newspaper and we dig in and eat.  No plates, just our hands and lots of napkins.  Brooke joked that she's pretty sure we are violating a dozen health codes!  But we sure enjoy it and the food is really good! 
Jay and his friends (Jay, Aaron, Garrett, Ayden, Peyton, and Jeremy).  We are missing Reece in this picture because he left early to be with a girl.......and so it begins.  Ha.  I remember these boys in early elementary school.  Now they look like giants!  I give the same compliment to Jay as I did Nick.  Jay has a good, solid group of friends.
Today I am in somewhat of a fog.  I have a dirty house and lots of laundry, but my heart is full. Considering where I was a year ago, life is sure good!  I am thankful for everyday I and my family are healthy!  I'm looking forward to what the rest of the summer has planned for us. 

No comments: