Sunday, August 13, 2017

My Boys......

 I'll be working backwards this week with my blogging.  We are wrapping up summer and this summer it is an oh so sad feeling.  My boys were great this summer and they wrapped up summer in a perfect way.  One way went to camp and the other boy followed directions and was responsible.  First about Nick.  My mom's dear friend, Leslie, had suggested an "outpost" camp for Nick at a Christian camp about 40 miles from where we live.  I signed Nick up, knowing he wouldn't know a soul.  This was one of those times where you just have to know your kid.  I was a wee bit nervous but Nick sure wasn't.  Nick can make friends with anyone and what I've learned is as long as he's outdoors, he's just fine.  My mom picked Nick up at the conclusion of camp (thank you, mom) because Mike and I were in Cincinnati (more on that later).  Nick had a great time.  I was so proud of him.  There aren't many kids that would willingly and happily to go a camp where they knew no one.  His group leader said Nick was his right hand man, that he was a leader in his group.  Truly I think Nick has found his niche, his passion, so to speak.  Next year he wants to attend the fishing camp offered to 7th graders at the camp, and one day he might just make a great counselor!
It was a joy to come home and listen to what Nick had learned from a biblical perspective.  I loved seeing his little handwriting in his bible of his favorite bible verses.  I prayed all week that God would plant seeds in Nick that would last his lifetime. 
Moving onto Jay.  Sadly, as usual, I don't have a cute picture of Jay.  He's 15, what more can I say?  Mike and I made the very bold decision to leave Jay at home while we traveled to Cinci.  However, I preface that by pointing out he would be spending nights at his friend, Reece's house.  Reece's mom, Erin, and I are very good friends and I knew she would keep a close eye on Jay.  Jay was responsible for taking care of our dogs and his ducks during the day.  At night his instructions were to report to Reece's by 7:30 for the night.  I admit, I was nervous before I left, but mostly because Jay was traveling back and forth to Reece's house on his 4 wheeler (and yes, Reece lives close but still).  Mike and I got home last night to uneventful news - just the way we like it.  Our dogs were taken care of, the ducks were still alive and quacking and our home was just as we had left it and most importantly Jay was in one piece!  There appeared to be no hiccups, which trust me is a small miracle for my family.  Last night was the first night in over 2 weeks that all 4 of us were together and it made this momma very, very happy!  So even though summer is nearly over, my heart is full and thankful for a summer that was filled with fun, family and friends. 

No comments: