Thursday, October 12, 2017

Technology 101

In our town there is a store that has been in business since 1954.  The name of the business is "Hobby Land."  It sells electric trains, remote control cars, doll houses, etc....Mike worked there part time during our early married life.  The other day I drove by the store and noticed it had a going out of business sign out.  I was heart broken that this iconic land mark was going out of business, but as Mike pointed out no one does anything anymore.  Kids don't make model trains or RC stuff.  Instead they set up snapchat, Instagram and facebook accounts.  Adults are just as guilty.  I'm appalled at how many times a day I check facebook.  I have a love/hate relationship with technology.  I love texting.  I realize it takes out a certain element of socialization, but in the busyness of life, texting really is a gift!  I love google.  Google maps has saved me on more than one occasion.  What I hate about technology is when it doesn't work which in my world is 80% of the time.  Right now I'm dealing with an old cell phone that locks up at any given time.  I think this is a conspiracy driven by cell phone companies.  They deem the phones as "old" after you've paid them off so that you are forced to go in and buy the newest model.  I'm digging my feet in this time and keeping my old phone.    Then Verizon decides not to renew a lease they had on a nearby tower in our area, therefore my cell phone only gets 1x.  What does this mean?  It means I don't have 4G which translates to I can't send picture text or download group messages.  The other night I had to drive in my car down onto another road in order to download a text.  Don't even get me started on our internet.  My internet provider, Frontier, hasn't been able to fix my email for over a month.  I can't get email on my phone or my laptop.  Everyday I have to log into frontier's mail center in order to retrieve my email.  And that's only if my internet is working.  It cuts in and out all day long and in the evening when the boys are home from school and everyone is home from work, it really gets challenging.  There is no such thing as paper homework anymore.  Everything is done on line.  Nick has his own google chromebook provided to him from the school.  All of Nick's homework is done on the chromebook which requires internet access.  Jay's assignments are done on google docs which require internet.  It's mind boggling to me that as a society we have become so reliant on the internet.  My job requires it, much of Mike's job needs it and the boys' school work depends on it.  Whether I like it or not, technology is here to stay.  Now if I could only get it to work!

No comments: