Saturday, March 24, 2018

Dad's Memorial Service

 We had a sweet tribute to my dad on March 22.  Kim and I delivered the eulogy.  We got through it with no tears.  The American Legion Post was on sight for military rites, which is always beautiful and moving.  Kim and I couldn't have asked for a better send off for our dad.
 Kim put dad's Cubs hat on the alter. Dad had three Cubs hats (go figure).  Kim, Karen and I have the hats.  It is something I will always treasure of my dad's.  Kim was gracious enough to let me have the flag.  Mike will make a case for it where we will display it in our home.
We were blessed with great weather for dad's service.  After the service, the doors to the church were opened, the trumpets played and rifles were shot.  It was very moving.  Luke was fascinated and checked things out before the service started.  
 Me and my boys.  I was proud of all my boys.  The month of March was really hard for me.  Mike was exceptionally patient and kind.  After the memorial service Jay and Nick got in line and wrapped their mother in a hug and told me I had done a great job with the eulogy.  I was touched.

When Kim and I sat down with the minister to plan dad's service he wondered if we could expect 50 people.  Kim and I weren't sure but we did think more than 50 people would come.  I am not certain how many people did come but it was over 100.  We were humbled over the outpouring of love from our friends and family.  Several people drove from out of town.  I love the picture above (I only wish Sarah and Matt were in it but I was too late in taking the picture).  Mary and John traveled from up north and Mike and Jenny stayed until the bitter end.  Karen and Kerry's friend, Ray (who went to Myrtle with us) traveled from McHenry, IL (3.5 hours one way).  Many people commented on how composed Kim and I were.  My sister and I shed MANY tears during the last two weeks of our dad's life.  Our dad had also been disabled for 22 years.  People were praying for peace and comfort for us and truly I felt every one of those prayers.  After dad passed I was filled with such peace and comfort in knowing he was no longer suffering, but instead safe in the arms of Jesus.  I look forward to the day when I will be reunited with my dad and I will see his broken body and voice restored.  Until that day happens I will remember him fondly.  I will hear his laughter through Kim and his grandchildren.  I will hug my Aunt Karen tighter every time I see her, and I will appreciate my daily blessings!

No comments: