Thursday, December 13, 2018

The I.E.P

We had Nick's I.E.P. today and it was so positive!!!  So positive that I was blown away by how good it was.  It wasn't that I thought it would be negative, but Nick has been struggling in math this year, big time!  And when he struggles, he freaks!  I joke (but not really) that he can't handle stress.  He comes home, freaks out, spends hours working with Mike and within 24-48 hours the dust has settled and all is good.  In the past math hasn't been Nick's weakest link, but this year it's been really hard and he stresses any time he thinks he might be ineligible for sports (which has yet to happen).  Sports is the be all and end all for Nick right now and I give him a lot of credit but his playing time is minimal at best.  December is brutal for basketball.  Between the two boys on average during December we have five games per week.  Last night we did not have a basketball game for Jay or Nick.  I commented to Nick how nice it was to not have a game and Nick's response to me was, "I wish we had games every night because with games I might get an opportunity to play."  I had to pick my mouth up from the floor.  My boy is driven!  His teachers commented on his organization (shocker, I know, considering he can't pick up his towels after showering), his kindness towards others, his politeness and his ability to advocate for himself and work hard!  One of his teachers said he does not fit the mold for most I.E.P. students and everyone agreed they saw Nick phasing out of an I.E.P. by high school, that a 504 plan would be more appropriate for him.  School has been a journey for Mike, me and our boys.  I can't believe Jay will graduate next year and Nick will enter high school on a 504 plan.  It's bittersweet!  I am incredibly thankful.

No comments: