Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Merry Christmas

 This Christmas was different than past Christmas'.  It was the first Christmas without dad and although we hadn't spent a Christmas day with dad in several years, we remembered Christmas as a child and dad always made them special.  He was missed but I was filled with joy to know he was in heaven.  This Christmas was also spent post stroke with mom.  To say Kim and I were over-joyed to spend another Christmas with our mother would be an under statement especially considering that in July we thought she could possibly die or be in a vegetative state.  Praise God neither of those things came true.  Mom is doing better than ever and even drove to my house for Christmas!  Another change for me this year is not having the Ausili's here.  I was blessed to still have a house full of people on Christmas but their absence this year was felt.
The picture above is of the boys helping each other put together Nick's xmas present from Jay.  It was a small miracle, hence why I had to capture the moment.
                                                              Mom and her grands!
 I got mom socks with my face and Kim's face on them.  I know every time she wears them they will make her laugh.
 My sweet (and only) niece, Lauren.  I got her bunny jammies and she loved them.
 Lauren entertained us with her flute on Christmas eve.  She is quite good.
 The boys on Christmas morning.  I got them socks with their faces and their dogs on them.  They said the socks were funny but a bit creepy.
 The weather on Christmas day this year was beautiful.  It was mid-40's and sunny.  Nick and his neighbor friend were able to shoot hoops on Christmas morning without coats!

 Christmas day wouldn't be Christmas day without Sieb's prime rib and twice baked potatoes.  Sieb works so hard in the kitchen and always does a fabulous job.
 My gift for my sister.  I saw this t-shirt and knew I had to get it for her.



 As I looked at my entire family gathered around my table on Christmas I said it was one of the reasons we got the table, so that family and friends would be able to congregate around it and good food and laughs would be shared.  Mission accomplished!






What a year this has been.  Last year at this time I had no idea the monumental challenges that lay over the horizon.  I have made it to the other side first and foremost because of Jesus.  I think of this year as me being a-float in an ocean and the only thing that kept me from drowning is the life vest that Jesus provided me with.  My husband has been the rock he's always been and I'm thankful that this of all years our rock remained steady, as I've always known it to be.  My Aunt Karen has been a source of great comfort to me.  My mom has been an inspiration to me.  My sister has demonstrated to me how much stronger we are together.  My girlfriends kept me laughing and I was so blessed to be able to see and visit Jenny several times this year.  As I approach 2019 I am hopeful that my mom will continue to make gains in her recovery, that my sister will settle back into teaching in the fall, and that my children will grow stronger in their faith.  The unknown isn't so scary anymore because I've been on that tight-rope and I've made it across it.

No comments: