Friday, June 18, 2021

My current season of life

 I post this picture to not only document where Nick is in his recovery but I promise it also goes along with my blog title.  First, Nick is doing well.  We were told last week that he's pretty much healed but because not even a broken leg can slow Nick down, the doctor wanted to keep his cast on another 2 weeks because a set back at this time is very real and potentially devastating.  We were told his injury could have been disastrous.  God's hand of protection was clearly over Nick. Two more weeks will ensure more healing and less chance of a set back.  He is due to get his cast off June 23.  He has done remarkably well.  Today (see picture above) he went with his friend, Chase, to watch him compete at the state track meet.  Nick took off this morning with Jay's Yeti backpack.  He wanted to make sure he could handle his own cooler as he didn't want to burden Chase's mom with carrying around his cooler.  Somehow Nick has managed to do life quite well on one leg.  Jay worked a half day today and took off this afternoon to the Ozarks for his yearly summer trip with his boys.  His new mattress arrived today, another reminder he will soon be moving out and the house will be even quieter.  On this Friday afternoon after a long week at work I am satisfied and content, it's just me and my dogs.  I also have to pinch myself that I've arrived at this season of my life.  I'm finding many nights my boys are coming and going.  I remember many summer afternoons not that long ago when I would be picking up a pizzas and the boys would be back and forth in the yard, riding their four wheelers, fishing and building forts in the trails.  I read one of my blog posts this week from a few years back (because again most nights tend to be relatively quiet for me).  Jay was in middle school and Nick was in elementary school.  I commented that it was a sweet season in life.  My boys were independent but it was before they could drive so as a family unit we were together - a lot! I savored the busyness those summers brought with two boys, knowing full well it would end before I could blink and sure enough, it did.  But here's the thing I have enjoyed every season of parenting - it's true.  I have loved this past year with Jay.  God has blessed me in getting to connect and know my son better as a young adult.  Then just being around Nick is well.....just that.....Nick is Nick and he's pretty entertaining.  Tonight I wait for Mike to come home and it will just be the two of us.  I imagine we'll grill some meat, he'll probably have a whiskey drink later and I'll have a cocktail with him.  We may venture out to our patio eventually but it will be a quiet night as we wait for one son to get home and the other son to arrive safely to his destination.  Slowly but surely Mike and I are finding we are right back to where we started - just the two of us.  

No comments: