Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What a difference a great teacher makes

There is nothing that makes me happier than when other people recognize the great qualities in my children that I see everyday.
I've never sugar-coated the fact that both my children are handfuls but in their very short life they have been so blessed with people along the way who truly understand them and have enjoyed their humor and quirks. It started with Miss Christy. She took care of Jay from age 3 through 7 and took care of Nick from birth until age 3. The great thing about Christy was she was magnificent at what she did. She provided a learning environment for my children and truly loved them, even when Nick turned 3! It's hard to explain but she just got my kids, it's as simple as that. She loved them and appreciated them for who they are. What a wonderful start for my kids. In August 2009, Nick transitioned to another school which didn't really work out. Then in October 2009, there was an opening in a Pre-K program at our public school (where Jay goes). The Pre-K aide, Mrs. Melick, encouraged me to try and get Nick in and wa-la, he got in. Mrs. Melick has filled a void in my heart that I didn't expect to be filled. Everytime she sees me she stops me and tells me a Nick story. She says that Nick makes her want to have another baby and I ask her what drug she's been smoking. Mrs. Melick has four boys of her own so nothing Nick does shocks her. She shared a story with me recently about Nick. She said the two of them were standing close to one another in class when Nick asked her, "Do you smell that, Mrs. Melick?" She replied that in fact she could smell whatever it was Nick was referring to. Nick then pointed to his rear-end and proclaimed, "It came from here, Mrs. Melick." She laughed and laughed about that.
This year Jay has a teacher fresh out of college. She is wonderful. She has such enthusiam and has been so encouraging and has been Jay's champion this year. She has been in his corner, rooting for him the entire time. Jay can kid around with her and he likes that. Jay is my son that won't go on and on about something. With Jay, it's all in his actions. In January, the Cub Scouts had their Pine Wood Derby Race and Jay's teacher said she would come. Jay was so excited (in his own way) and wanted to make sure I wrote the time down on a piece of paper so his teacher would know exactly what time the race started. She has frequently told me what a great writer Jay is and how proud she is of him of what he has accomplished this year. She has cracked me up the comments she's shared with me that Jay does or says in class. Again, it's another example of how all three of these women took the time to really get to know my children, appreciate their quirks and find humor in both of them.

No comments: