Monday, July 26, 2010

Verbal directions

Jay started football camp tonight. He will start his actual practices in a few weeks. Since neither Mike or I are sports fans we weren't sure what to expect with football. Yeah, yeah, we know somebody throws the ball and you have to tackle him before he crosses some line. Ha! Anyway, we quickly learned that there is a lot of directions one must take in football - which is fine - Jay does fairly well taking directions, it's when you throw too many directions his way that things get a little "out of sorts." Jay is so much like me - I am classic LD when it comes to following directions orally. For example, when Mike and I go to parent-teacher conferences he listens and can tell you everything the teacher said. I, on the other hand, take notes as I learn more visually vs. orally. When someone starts telling me something or giving me multiple directions, the words almost get jumbled up so I've become quite a note-taker. Mike and I quickly learned that the coach was giving multiple directions at once. One had to really pay attention to know exactly what was required of them. No doubt about it, Jay had trouble but was giving it his best shot and most importantly, he enjoyed himself. Mike and I did get a chuckle because about half way through the practice Mike looked at me and said, "I think track is going to be more of Jay's sport. In track the directions go like this: Run to that line and when you're done, run it again, only faster." Now those are some directions that even I can follow!

No comments: