Sunday, June 7, 2015

Our Kanakuk Family Kamp Vacation

 This year my mom blessed us by giving us some extra money.  She said we could use the money however we wanted and I choose to take this summer kamp vacation.  I will admit that for weeks leading up to the vacation I was super nervous.  I just didn't know if this vacation would be the right fit for my family.  So now that we're home I can tell you I am so glad we stepped out of our comfort zone to try this vacation.  Would we ever do it again - No but there were many things we liked and some things we didn't but I will tell you this, we have never been so engaged as a family and it was wonderful.  We were unplugged all week not only with our phones but we had no TV either.  We played, prayed and laughed together as a family.  It was beautiful.  This vacation gave me an opportunity to connect with Jay.  Mike and I got time together, just the two of us and I was reminded how important it is to continually work on your marriage.  I was inspired by the staff of young college kids.  It gave me hope in America.  So although the vacation started rough, it ended well and I am truly thankful.

 Mike and Nick loved the hammocks throughout the camp.  I often found Mike relaxing in one.  It did my heart well to see my husband relax this week.

 Nick jumping off the high dive.  This kamp had two pools, this one pictured and another pool with a huge lazy river and a very tall and big waterslide. 
 On our first day at kamp the boys did the rope course.  I opted out since my back was finally starting to feel better.  Jay literally ran through the course.  Nick didn't make it through which surprised all of us but it was a tough course. 




 The activities we did this week included canoeing, archery, bb guns and all of us jumped off a cliff.  Jay jumped the highest by finding a cliff about 30 feet high - crazy!  As you can see by some of the pictures the weather wasn't great.  Thankfully it never rained but it was cold and cloudy.  By the fourth day we were there the sun finally came out and it was warm and beautiful. 




 Nick being Nick. There was no TV in our room so we welcomed the Nick entertainment.
 One morning we took a break from kamp and rode go carts and Mike and the boys took a helicopter ride.  They loved it. 

 For some reason the frogs loved making their home in the lazy river and Jay loved to catch them.



 On Wednesday night there was a space party at kamp and we enjoyed it.  The staff surprised us by having a bubble dance party.  Jay participated for about 1 minute (kid you not) but Nick loved it.  In fact the bubble dance party was Nick's favorite of the entire trip.
                                                          Even Mike got in on the action. 

 Nick, covered in suds!  He went into the party and we had to wade our way through the suds to find him! 

 Here I am before paintball.  I simply want it noted that I actually did this.  And when people tell you it hurts to get hit by a paintball, they aren't kidding.  But it made it all worth it when afterwards Jay said to me, "Mom, I don't know any other mom that would play paintball."  Mission accomplished. 
Another positive from this trip is the friends Jay made.  He really bonded with his small group.  Jay got to witness one of his friends be baptized and he was moved by that.  Nick made friends too but Jay seemed to have formed closer bonds with the boys.  He and his friends played paintball together and Jay took pride in the fact that he took his whole family out.  Ha.  The trip was a great way to start our summer vacation.  We are all glad to be home and get in the summer swing of things and we are glad to be eating my food again.  Yes, you read that correctly.  The food was not good this week and when we pulled out of kamp on Friday Nick said, "Mom, when we get home I'm going to gobble up all your cooking!"  That comment and Jay's paintball comment made the trip worth it.  HA! 

No comments: