Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Social media "bliss"

This blog post will be a lot different from my previous post.  Why is that you ask?  My children have returned to the homestead!!!  Nothing like kids to remind you who you are, what your duties are and kick you out of your slump.  Any parent of my generation knows how challenging social media can be for our kids.  My mom often comments that she would have lost her mind with me if smart phones, facebook, snap chat, instagram (the list goes on and on) would have been available to me during the 80's & early 90's.  And I was a real dumbie, especially in middle school, when it came to making good choices so no doubt I probably would have posted a picture of my boobies (what small ones I had in middle school) at some point.  Boys don't appear to be as interested in social media as the girls do which isn't much consolation for me but it's something.  I try to stay one step ahead of Jay.  He has a girlfriend now so I have spent a lot of time monitoring the texts between them.  I was going along just fine.  Jay and the girl kept their conversations on the up and up.  I felt like a girl out on a country road, enjoying a Sunday drive, nothing but the wind in my hair and sunny skies ahead until out of the blue came a thunderstorm.  Suddenly Jay and the girl decided that snap chat was a better form of communication- the thunderstorm struck.  I curse snap chat.  I think the developers of snap chat were fresh faced kids, right out of college, trying to seek revenge on their parents for the control they still had left over their over paid educations.  Clearly the developers of snap chat did not have children!  With snap chat, you can send chats and poof, it disappears.  There is no way of monitoring it.  However, my husband has been challenged by this.  He can't believe there is no way of monitoring the chats.  If any one can figure out how to monitor it, it's Mike, in all his free time - NOT!  Mike has no free time, just like every other parent in our generation.  But I digress, that's another blog title.  I've left most (most, not all) of these conversations about girls and what is and isn't appropriate to Mike.  Usually I have to give him a gentle reminder, like the other night when Jay said he was taking his galaxy (this is the device that has snap chat on it) to his room.  When I heard Jay's room door shut, I gave Mike a swift kick to get off the couch pronto!  Jay is a good kid but don't all parents say that?  He hasn't given us any reason not to trust him but there is a lot of junk out there just waiting to take kids down the wrong road.  Today I was with Nick when I got a notice that one of his friends was following me on Instagram.  Nick was horrified!  Why would his friend want to follow me on Instagram and I better not put anything embarrassing out there for his friends to see.  With Nick I have learned that sometimes it's best to just let him rant and sure enough when he was done, he said, "Well I guess it's okay if my friend follows you."  I wanted to scream at him, "Gee, do ya think, Nick?  I am 41 years old, what the heck to have to be embarrassed about and I'm not the one that started following him, he started following me!!!"  And this was just a glimpse into the fact that I am soon entering the social media bliss with Nick so I better get ready because round 2 is about to start! 

No comments: