Sunday, May 14, 2017

Ducks, birthdays, parties, oh my!

 About two weeks ago Jay asked if he could get baby ducks.  He wanted to raise them in our back yard.  Without fully thinking through the consequences of my decision I agreed to it.  We ordered our ducklings through the US mail (kid you not) and at 6am on my 43rd birthday I got a call from the post office that our furry friends had arrived.  Jay and I went to the post office and happily listened to our ducks quack from within their shipping box, until we got home and realized one of our four ducks was D.O.A.  Poor ducky!  As of today our three ducks, Lucy, Ritz and Ayden Parlett (or as she is affectionately called A.P.) live in a big tub in our garage, as if our garage had any more room for anything, least of all baby ducks. 

 Jay and Mike planning out the duck sanctuary.  Jay did 95% of the work himself.  I was really proud of him. 


 I'm including this picture because I know my boys and Jay will claim he did the duck sanctuary entirely by himself and although there is some truth in that, it's not entirely true.  Nick helped financially and he donated some "sweat equity" and helped Jay paint the sanctuary. 
 IntroDUCKtions to the dogs.  Keep in our mind our dogs are bird hunters (go back to my first paragraph wherein I said I didn't fully think through the consequences of saying yes to Ducks).  Mostly our dogs are just interested in the ducks and what they are doing.  The ducks have no interest in the dogs and just quack at them. 
 Faith turned 17 yesterday.  I still remember the day she was born.  Time goes so fast.  We got together with Mike and Jenny last night because when we looked at our calendars we realized it would probably be another six weeks before our families could get together.  Life in general has just changed with our families.  Three of our four children are in high school and with that comes busier schedules, drivers ed, college visits, sports activities and the list goes on and on. I'm just so thankful our friendship evolves with the times and we all adjust.  It's been a joy to raise our kids together and see them grow and mature through the years.   
 I always say I have the best girlfriends.  Jenny and I were saying the other day that we don't know what women do who don't have girlfriends!  I started my birthday evening over cocktails with my sister and mom - a pure delight.  Then I had margaritas and fattening Mexican food with Jenny and Sarah.  Two days later the party continued as my neighborhood girlfriends (picture above) threw me a party at Betsy's house.  I'm so thankful for my neighborhood tribe. 
I'm ending my very busy few days on Mother's Day.  I have the best mom!  She encourages me, listens to me and most importantly she loves me, fiercely!  And of course being a mom myself, although I'm really in the trenches with parenting my boys these days and some days it feels like there are more hard days than feel good, easy days, but I wouldn't trade my boys.  Each of them are God's creation and I look forward to doing life with them as they grow into adulthood.  They make me laugh, some days more than others and they absolutely have made me more patient, and have taught me to not sweat the small stuff because trust me, with my boys, if I were sweating the small stuff with them, I'd miss a whole lot!

No comments: