Thursday, May 25, 2017

The last week of school

 This is our last week of 5th and 9th grade.  As I started this blog I realized I have no pictures of Jay, but anyone who has a freshman boy would understand why I don't......they are impossible to get a good picture of!  So since I have no pictures of Jay, I'll blog about him first.  He had a great freshman year.  It's hard to imagine we only have three more years left of high school with him and next year he'll be driving.  Be still my heart!  I have to be honest though I hardly saw Jay do any homework.  He claimed he got all his work done at school and I had no reason to doubt him since he didn't have any late assignments show up and he kept his grades up.  As he ends this semester he has 3 B's and 2 C's.  All grades he should (and is) proud of.  Jay hasn't changed much this year, other than in his appearance.  He loves four wheeling and fishing, and his new obsession is searching the internet for trucks.  He's a whiz at finding the best deal (on cars) and has a pretty good idea of what cars should and shouldn't cost.  My grandpa would be proud!  He had the opportunity many times this year to work with Mike and although he may not have always liked the work, he liked the money.  Jay has surprised me lately by demonstrating to me he has more going on in his head than what I sometimes give him credit for.  Recently I heard someone say that when your childern become adults, it's like teaching a child to ride a bike.  They try and try and fall many times, but then finally after many attempts and several painful skinned knees, they take off and go.  That is what mental picture I have in my head for both my boys.  I see the potential and the ability to soar in both of them. 
 This week also wrapped up Nicks' Iditarod series.  He had to write a paper about the Alaska Iditarod.  Our school has been doing this for 20 years!!!  I hope they never stop doing it.  The kids love it.  They are all required to write a paper about the race (which Nick passed with flying colors) and then they participate in their own race.  Nick's team got first place!
 Through the years I can think of many people who have touched Nick's heart, and his bus driver, Tim, is one of them.  Everyday Nick would jump off the bus with a smile on his face.......sure his smile might turn into a litany of complaints once he reached my car, but for that split second when he got off the bus, he was smiling, and I have Tim to thank for that.  I wrote Tim a thank you card this week and told him he really was the salt and the light! 
 Nick's last day of 5th grade.  Watch out middle school because here he comes. 
 These boys!  Nick and Calvin have known each other since they were babies.  Nick and Jake have been super good friends since 3rd grade and honestly Jake was an answer to my prayers that 3rd grade year (Jake and Mrs. Westerfield), and Nick and Easton were on Student Council this year.
I had to include this picture to prove Mike attended an awards assembly (his first and last).  It's bittersweet knowing we are done with elementary school! 

No comments: