Monday, May 22, 2017

Rugged Nick

I signed Nick up for a week long church camp this summer.  It's a church camp that has a great reputation, and I picked the camp not only for it's reputation but also because it's a very primitive camp.  However, none of Nick's friends are going with him to this camp.  Nick is pretty outgoing, but still, I was a little nervous about telling him I was sending him to a camp where he would know no one.  I pitched the camp to Nick by telling him it was a very primitive camp, that he would spend his week in a tent and cook all his meals over an open fire (no dining hall for this camp).  Nick's eyes got really big, and I fully expected some resistance.  Instead he asked if he and his camp mates got to hunt for their food (that they would then cook over an open fire).  Clearly, I had nothing to worry about!  I adore both of my boys and their adventurous souls! 
Nick is also signed up for a gun camp this summer.  Again, it's another highly reputable camp.  Nick has wanted to go for several years.  A buddy of his from school asked him if he wanted to go this summer and Nick excitedly accepted.  Today I ran into this boys dad.  He commented that his son was excited about the camp.  He said that originally his son was going to go to the camp with another friend, but that friend cancelled.  His son was disappointed as he really wanted to go to the camp with a friend, but he couldn't think of any of his friends from school who would want to go to a gun camp.  His dad said he was like....."Hello, Nick Siebert."  The dad said he couldn't think of any other kid in the 5th grade who would like to go more than Nick Siebert.  Mission accomplished!  I do love that other people know that about my boys.  They are rugged, all country and yes a bit red neck(ish) but they are mine and I wouldn't change either one of them. 

No comments: