Sunday, September 24, 2017

Our September

 It's been stupid hot the last week.  The picture above is of Nick and Sid swimming.  It seems crazy that we are still swimming in central IL and it's the last week of September but it's hot enough that the water is a refreshing treat, especially for Nick since he's in XC.  Overall our September has been uneventful and that is a good thing.  Jay is not playing a sport this season which is good and bad.  It's good because it has freed up some time for us, but bad because I still go back to what I've always said about Jay, he's at his best when he's busy in a sport and managing school.  Right now he wastes a lot of time on line looking for a truck.  He is participating in his small group that he's been involved with since 6th grade and he's taking private basketball lessons, and he's "forced" to attend Nick's meets since he doesn't have any games or practices.  As you can see from the picture below he's less than thrilled about it.  Teenagers!
 Yesterday was Nick's home XC meet and it was a hot one.   Sadly there was no shade for Nick and he was drenched at the finish line.  My aunt Karen drove from Springfield to attend the meet. It's always a treat to see and spend time with Karen. 
Since our schedules are a little quieter we spend a lot of time at home, just the four of us.  Sometimes I wonder if other families feel and face the same challenges we do.  Our house is designed in such a way that when we are home, we are all together in one room.  My boys aren't video game nuts so they rarely spend much time in the basement playing video games.  During this time of year they spend a lot of time outside but when were inside, we are all together in the living room.  Yesterday I had had it with all the togetherness and went to my office to read.  It's just a lot of together time!  And when things break, which is a common occurrence, it just makes things more stressful.  This weekend Nick broke Mike's drill.  We knew it would end bad when we heard Nick yelling not so nice things from his fort.  Then our freezer door won't open all the way.  Then Mike set up a new TV cabinet and he hates the way the living room is set up which is prompting him to reconfigure the set up.  We continue to face issues with our internet which has only escalated.  All of these are small things.  I call them thorns.  They just kind of dig at you and annoy you but in the grand scheme of life they aren't that big of a deal.  After all, the state of Florida and Texas are still dealing (and will continue to deal with) the effects of major hurricanes that devastated their communities in the last few weeks.  Not to mention the horrible earthquake that hit Mexico City this past week.  The message I'm getting theses days which I equate to what the Holy Spirit is telling me is I just need to "be" right now.  I need to be happy and content with the blessings I've been given. There are so many unknowns with us right now.  We question if we should stay in our house.  We question if this business is really where Mike needs to stay.  We question that if he does stay in the business and we do stay in this house then do we build a building and really make a go of this business?  Where will the boys be in two years?  Jay will be graduated and Nick will be starting high school.  What will my life look like in 5 years?  These questions can keep me up at night but I've learned it's not about me and I don't have any control.  Right now I'm trying to not despise the divine delay.

No comments: