Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Hoco Proposal

Last week this boy came up with a plan.  The only part I played in this plan was driving him to the store to buy the poster board and then driving him to the gas station so he could buy the bag of Skittles.  What is amusing is I never asked him a single question.  On the day he bought the Skittles, it was his best friend, Aaron's, 16th birthday.  Since I wasn't asking questions, I assumed Jay was buying Aaron the Skittles.  Shows you what I know, ha!  On Saturday night Jay had Hope over.  He apparently asked her during the movie they were watching!  So cute!  The next morning I asked Jay if I could ask two questions.  He hesitated but agreed.  I asked if she was surprised, the answer was Yes and since Hope goes to a different school I asked Jay what hoco they were going to and he said he was taking her to his homecoming.  Truly this was a small glimpse of Jay's maturity.  He came up with the idea on his own and he executed it entirely on his own.  The only reason he needed me to drive him was because he can't drive.  A lot of people say these elaborate hoco proposals are ridiculous and there was a time I agreed, but I've changed my mind.  Kids these days are so "plugged" in with their phones it's a gift when they engage with face to face contact and that is exactly what these proposals force them to do.  In Jay's case he first had to get over his fears of asking someone (trust me this is huge for him), then he had to think of something thoughtful and creative.  Then he had to take the initiative to get it done which required him to get to the store, and then make the poster.  Granted, it was an easy poster to make, but it shows thought was put into it.  Then Jay had to think through how and when he'd ask her.  Hence why he had her over on Saturday night.  Jay and Hope sat with us during dinner, conversated and even lingered after dinner for more conversation.  Not once did either of them check their phones.  The two of them were a breath of fresh air! 

No comments: