Saturday, June 30, 2018

Time marches on

About 2 weeks ago I dropped Jay off at church for what was his fourth CIY trip.  We checked in and I noticed this time it was different.  There were no more medications to check in, there were no instructions, other than to tell us small group leaders were in the gym.  Jay wasn't anxious, wanting to check the list of which kids were in his group.  I asked Jay if he wanted me to walk him to the gym.  Surprisingly enough he did.  We walked to the gym in silence, which is typical for us.  Again, giving birth to Jay was easier than getting him to talk.  I took about 5 steps into the gym, he turned to me and said goodbye and walked across the gym to his small group leader.  In that instant I could see Jay about 4 feet tall with his buzzed hair cut, big brown eyes, not sitting or standing still for one second self run across that gym, ready for his next adventure.  In reality he was over 6 foot tall with a sun kissed face and hair from vacation, dashing good looks and some really long (and hairy) legs walking casually, not running (what a concept).  Dropping Jay off some kind of summer camp has been going on since he was 5!  In that moment I reminded myself my days of dropping Jay off at summer camp was closing in on me.  As parents there are certain things that seem like they will never end, until they do and you're left with the sweet memories like I had in that gym.  I am thankful God gave me my boys, and I truly see this last stretch of parenting as the very best!

No comments: