Sunday, July 8, 2018

Coasting

 I knew I wanted to title my blog post, "Coasting," but I was afraid my pictures had nothing to do with what I was going to write about but then I realized that in fact they do!  They show us happy, healthy and content.  What more can one ask for?  I am coasting on my roller coaster right now and I'm loving it because I know eventually my roller coaster will take me on another wild and challenging ride.  Life right now is just sweet.  There are a few bumps in the road which include the Ausili's move, an unfortunate weight gain of 10 lbs and being pre-menopausal,  living with a teenage boy, and turning into a sloth (me) during the summer months.  All of those bumps are small things and can all be overcome.  During this season we are all healthy.  Mike's work is steady.  We finally have some extra money and are finishing our home projects.  It only took us 14 years!!!  The boys have been easy to manage this summer and Jay's pressure washing job has provided him with enough money this summer to pay his own gas, entertainment and start his own mutual fund.  There are gaps of time that I wish he had more jobs scheduled but again overall the work has provided for him and relieved Mike and I of that burden (for the time being).  Any parent of a teenager knows what a grand statement that is!
 For the 3rd year in a row we went to Jay's friends house for a shrimp boil.  This was the same place where 2 years ago I broke my ankle.  Lets just say I'm a lot less venturesome now!  This 4th of July it was HOT, like stupid hot!  Picture being out in extreme heat, standing over a table (see above) of a hot shrimp boil, sweating profusely and eating (see my sloth comment and 10 lbs weight gain comment).  The shrimp boil is delicious and after the kids dive in, the adults dig in.  The only hiccup (there is usually a hiccup where my family is concerned) is Nick going missing for about 30 minutes.  He left his backpack with his phone at the school so his GPS showed him at the school and in fact that was not where he was.  Needless to say he got in big trouble for not telling anyone where he was going and leaving his phone!
                                                              Jay and his crew

 Even though Mike HATES to eat with his fingers, over a table of newspapers no less, he loves to eat the shrimp and sausage at the shrimp boil.
 My dear friend, Shannon, turns 50 this week.  I just love Shannon.  She came into my life about 5 years ago because of Mary.  She is an example of a woman who has overcome so much and trusted God with everything.  She lives the phrase God is good all the time.
 Mary made this adorable peg board with donuts on it for Shannon's birthday.  I thought it was such a cute idea, and Shannon loved it.
My people!  During one of my theatrical story telling moments I flipped my drink over and it spilled all over my pants.  My mom threw my pants in the dryer and I sat on my mom's porch with no pants and a blanket over my lap.  The best line of the whole night was my mom saying, "Amy, let me make you a drink and get your pants."  We all cracked up!  My friends are one in a million!

No comments: