Thursday, September 13, 2018

Nick's love of fishing

Nick loves fishing.  No, seriously, he obsesses over it.  He talked about it incessantly, so much that I'm concerned over his prospects of ever finding a girlfriend who will enjoy listening to his fishing stories as much as Nick loves to tell them.  Here's the thing though.  My boy has a hobby, a good, healthy hobby.  A hobby that brings him joy and it's an added bonus that he's really good at it.  We are still frying fish!  Last night Nick didn't have football practice so what did he do, he went fishing.  I joined him for a bit and there was a couple who stopped and I heard them say, "Hi Nick, what did you catch tonight?"  I had no idea who these people were but they clearly knew Nick and they did live somewhere in our neighborhood.  I struck up a conversation with them and learned they met Nick on the lake, as their house is on the lake and they have a special needs son who often sits in the backyard.  When Nick sees him he stops by on his kayak and strikes up a conversation with him.  Those are the moments that make me smile and make me proud!  When I drove Nick home he was sitting out the back of the hatchback with his pole.  Apparently Nick is like "Norm on Cheers" because more people would wave at Nick and call him by his name as I drove him home!  He's a real regular with the neighbors that live on the lake.   Keep fishing, Nick, keep fishing!  It truly does bring out the best in you.

No comments: