Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Nick's first day of high school

This year would have been a bit different anyway because I only had to register and buy school supplies for one child. The pandemic of 2020 has changed everything. Thankfully our school district gave the option of in-person learning or virtual learning. Teachers, parents and kids have had to readjust how they teach, how they learn and parents are along for the ride, trying to figure out how they will home school their children and hold down a full time job. It's computer screens and chrome books, lost football seasons and masks.  On Monday our teachers went back to school.  My friend, Laura and I spread kids and parents at the schools with signs to welcome them back (hence the picture above).
I feel like I had my emotional breakdown with this pandemic in the spring. At this point I've gotten better rolling with the punches that seem to hit hard almost weekly these days. I am incredibly thankful that our school district is at least giving in person learning a fighting chance and I'm praying all the time that our district can be an example to other districts. Today was Nick's first day of his freshman year. My heart was a little heavy this morning knowing my baby is starting high school and my other baby is working a full time job. If I really stop to think about all the changes over the past two years it almost takes my breathe away.  As I was driving home from dropping Nick off this morning it did occur to me that things are slowing down with parenting.  I'm well aware that I have another four plus years with Nick but he's incredibly independent, as Jay is. I'm looking forward to the years ahead and maybe focusing on some things I want to do. Enjoying my home more, enjoying my husband's company more and sucking the life out of Nick (ha, just kidding, kind of).
Notice how Nick is holding his fishing pole. I just love this kid. He makes me laugh everyday. Fishing is his passion. The school start time starts an hour later this year (thanks Covid). Nick has big plans to get up really early and get a few hours of fishing in before school starts!  I saw a neighbor today that lives on the lake and she told me she would missing seeing Nick out fishing in the mornings.  I told her to keep her eyes open and she will still find Nick out on most mornings. I am certain that if you ask Nick in 10 years what he can remember about the pandemic of 2020 he will say it was the best time of his life! His life has been carefree centered around the things he loves; fishing, time with friends, hanging with family and just living his best Nick life!

Praying for a wonderful year for this kid!

No comments: