Sunday, May 16, 2021

My past 4 days; Hint....none of it is boring



On May 13 Nick had a four wheeling accident and broke his left tibia and fibula. It happened in a blink of an eye - as most accidents do. I knew the minute I saw his ankle which had swelled to the size of a grapefruit that he had broken his leg. When we got to Prompt Care and the nurse was taking down Nick's info and asking him what had happened Nick took off his sweatshirt and what did he have on under his sweatshirt? His Corona beer shirt from Jay!  I was mortified.  The nurse was probably thinking....first this mother lets her 15 year old  get on a four wheeler and wear a beer shirt! That explains everything.  Nick, the nurse and I did get a good laugh over it.  The good news is Nick does not need surgery. Actually all things considered, everything has been good news.  Yes, he broke his leg but it could have been SO MUCH WORSE.  He was wearing his neck brace and his helmet.  He was also wearing his cowboy boots which saved his leg from being cut and mangled.  Nick has handled the whole situation quite well but he has a long way to go.  I imagine May and June will be challenging. Nick even had a job all lined up to start after Memorial Day.  Sadly he won't be working any time soon. 
I just told Mike last week that I was sure I would be spending a lot of time on my knees praying for Nick's protection in high school.  Nick has no fear of anything and he's always up for everything. I am keenly aware that God's hand was on him at precisely 4:30pm on May 13.  
Nothing can keep Nick down for long.  He's learned how to maneuver around with his scooter and crutches.  I laugh because when I broke my ankle at 43, I was a miserable bear.  There is a big difference in breaking a bone at 15 and 43.  Here he is fine tuning some things on his four wheeler.  
Faith and Curt were here all week and yesterday they came out for a visit.  I loved it! I love getting to know my kids as young adults. And my heart was full having all the kids back together.  It felt just like old times.  

Jay and Curt.  Curt finished his first year at University of Alabama.  He hopes to get a job at a golf course this summer.  Jay is working full time plumbing and seems to be really enjoying it.  
Miss Daisy came out to pick Faith and Curt up and spent some time with us before they all left.  It was an awesome afternoon. 
 

I have no idea what I did to get this picture off center but I'm too technically deficient to fix it.  Mike and I ended our Saturday by going out with Mary, John and Tami.  Tami lives in NV and came home for a visit.  It was fun to go out and reassuring to know we could leave Nick at home, knowing he was comfortable and capable of getting around. Here's to another week which will hopefully be calmer and full of healing for Nick.  

No comments: