Sunday, November 27, 2022

This House


 My cousin, Adam and his wife, Nicki, bought our grandparents home after they died.  I have not been in the house since my grandparents lived in it but last night Nicki posted this picture.  Suddenly the memories of this home flooded my memory.  I think of my grandparents especially this time of year almost daily and the older I get the more I miss them and cherish them.  I had so many happy memories in this home.  Every Christmas our entire family would pile down in the basement to open presents, after the meal was eaten and the dishes were done, of course.  Often times we would pull into the driveway and grandma and grandpa would be waiting for us on the porch.  When we left grandma would be in the front window waving to us.  Grandma's sugar cookies and her peanut butter fudge were in abdundance during the holidays.  Driving to Sterling was a long drive so we would always spend the night.  I'd wake up every morning with the same greeting from grandma, "How did you sleep, Amy?"  Then she'd prepare my oatmeal which my mother could never perfect.  Only grandma knew how to make the oatmeal I loved.  

After the holidays were over last year I remember feeling disappointed with how the holidays had played out.  Nothing had gone wrong and I had plenty to be thankful for but it was an odd Christmas.  My in laws didn't come on Christmas Day.  Jay had moved out and although he spent a good amount of time with us it was an adjustment for me.  Most of my sadness came from the past and having a hard time moving forward.  I realized at the time it was not healthy.  Time marches on and I know I need to be thankful in all things/time.  I voiced my sadness with Mary one day after Christmas last year and as always she provided me with sound, godly advice.  She said I needed to make the holidays my own.  I had to decide how I wanted the season to look for my family and be intentional.  That's exactly what I plan to do this season.  Someday I want my boys and grandchildren to look back at my house and think that is the house where I was loved, cared for and blessed.  

No comments: