Thursday, February 23, 2023

Worry

 Lent began yesterday.  Full disclosure I usually don't give anything up for Lent.  However, about six weeks ago I was reading an article about a woman who gave up worrying for Lent.  For the past several weeks I've put a lot of thought into doing just that.  Jay has a really important interview coming up on March 9 and when I first thought about giving up worrying my initial thought was, "But then I can't worry about Jay's interview!"  Thankfully I had several weeks to really process how this would look for me and trusting at the end of it all how free I might actually feel from doing it so yesterday I promised Jesus I would leave all my worries at His feet.  After all there hasn't been one time in my life when He hasn't taken care of me.  So often times I just want to be in control of what I'm doing and where I'm going.  Also, I'm a mom.  We worry.  It's what we do but so often I allow myself to be consumed by worry when it comes to my boys.  

I'm convinced God has a sense of humor or as Mary pointed out to me last night, God was surely testing me.  The minute I gave up worrying yesterday morning I had something distressful happen (which I won't go into on my blog), Jay told me that they are interviewing 60 people and only taking 10, Mike has no work right now and Nick got 13 stitches in his lip.  Granted Nick's injury occurred two days earlier but we were concerned about infection so Mike took him to the doctor yesterday (good news, no infection).  I texted Mary last night and told her about my day and that I had given up worrying for Lent.  She encouraged me as only Mary can and texted me right back with verses from Matthew 6:25-30.  I literally went to bed reciting these verses, along with Romans 8:28.  The more I recited the verses the more peace I felt.   

No comments: