Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Progress

As the school year comes to an end I have spent some time over the past week reflecting on Jay's year in first grade. To me, Jay has made excellent progress and despite some of the obstacles, overall it's been a good year for him and us. I do not think he has ADHD. I am glad that Mike and I waited and did not rush to seek a diagnosis of ADHD. We will see what second grade brings but the decision we made this year was the right one.
Tonight, Jay read to me with such ease and excitment. I had to wipe my eyes a few times to keep him from seeing the tears that were welling up! In September Jay would wiggle, squirm, argue and sometimes cry when he had to read. Now he happily puts on his glasses (which are pretty darn cute on him) snuggles next to me and reads fairly fluidly. Occassionally I'll catch a glimpse of those brown eyes looking up at me for assurance that he has read the right word. What great progress my son has made! And an added bonus is he's had his glasses for about 6 weeks and hasn't lost them!!

2 comments:

The Stille's said...

I am tearing up reading this I am so proud of him too

Steph said...

That is so sweet! You are such a great mom!! Your boys are lucky :)