Saturday, November 14, 2009

Restroom Drama

Jay might have just taken 10 years off my life today. The two of us were at a gas station and I had to go to the bathroom. Of course I tell Jay he has to go with me. Once we get into the restroom, he says he doesn't have to go so I tell him I'm going to go into a stall (I hope I am spelling that right) and I give him my purse and my drink to hold. When I came back out of the stall my purse and drink were sitting on the floor but Jay was no where to be found! I literally start screaming his name. I immediately grabbed my purse and head out of the restroom and the minute I walk out of the restroom Jay is waiting for me outside the door, behind a chip rack. I was beyond words and Jay knew from my face his joke had gone sour.
Our 20 minute drive home was spent in silence, which sometimes with Jay speaks louder than words. I did however make it a point to paint a picture for him of all the horrible things that could have happened to him without scaring him half out of his mind but dang, I was mad! He insisted he didn't mean to scare me but that he didn't want to be in the women's restroom.
Long story made short, Jay was remorseful and once again his impulsivity got the best of him. He was in tears when the two of us sat down to talk when we got home, which means I got through to him. I explained to him he can NEVER EVER do that again.
I'm sure mothers of boys can relate to this blog. It is such a fine line with elementary age boys and restrooms. Jay is almost 8 but there is no way in hell I'm letting him go into a men's restroom by himself or leave him unattended in a gas station while I go to the restroom. Mike and I explained to him that although we understand why he's uncomfortable being in a women's restroom, when he's with me and Mike isn't along, I have no choice but to take him with me.
So the next time any of you see me and you notice more wrinkles around my eyes or some gray hairs here and there, you'll know why.

No comments: