Monday, November 30, 2009

Old Friends are the best

On Saturday night I got together with my dear friend, Mary. My other dear friend, Jenny joined us. Spending an evening with them was just what the doctor ordered. The ironic part is both of these girls became my friends by accident. When I was getting ready for college in 1992 I had decided to be roommates with a girl named Brandi. However, we had an extra room in our apartment so Brandi suggested we add Mary to the mix. I knew who Mary was but had never formally met her. The rest of this story is history because Mary and I became fast friends and things with Brandi exploded in our faces. Brandi moved out and Mary and I lived together for two hilarious, fun-filled years. There is no one more genuine or kinder than Mary. She also introduced me to Mike and I remember the night she called me to tell me he was picking me up for our first blind date. My response to her was, "Is he ugly?" Turns out, he wasn't ugly. I found him quite adorable and I married him 4 years later.

Fast forward to 1994. I was crazy in love with Mike and Mike had a friend named Mike. Kind of confusing, I know. Mike was dating Jenny. Jenny and I hit it off immediately. While those crazy boyfriends of ours were hitting every fish store this side of the Mississippi, she and I were popping popcorn, drinking Pepsi and watching Melrose Place back on Orr Drive. Jenny is my friend who really gets me and our friendship has continued to grow through the years. When I need something done, she gets it done for me. From getting Brad Paisley tickets to getting stains out of my kids clothes, she delivers every time! She is super woman and a super friend.

Tonight, I had dinner with my oldest friend and I do mean oldest. Melissa and I have been friends since kindergarten. She spent summers with me. We rode our bikes to Holiday Pool, tennis lessons at BHS and I think one summer our mothers signed us up for summer school. Don't quote me on that. I like to block our any "unpleasant" summer experiences and summer school would certainly be one of them. Little did we know in our early elementary school days that I would be raising two boys and she would be raising two girls and our conversations would be filled with laughs around what our kids have said or done.
How very lucky am I to have these three women in my life? Pretty luck, I'd say.

No comments: