Sunday, April 18, 2010

Play-date Evolution


These pictures really aren't related to what I plan on blogging about but I thought they were cute. Lauren came out yesterday morning and hung out with Aunt MayMay and her cousins. The kids colored together. We always enjoy spending time with Lauren!
Years ago when Jay was 3 and in Pre-K and he was my only child I thought it would be a good idea to arrange a play-date for him. What a disaster! I don't know if I thought 3 year olds could actually form solid friendships (maybe some can but it was not something Jay was capable of at 3) but I learned quickly and now that Nick is approaching 4, he has yet to have a friend over. Don't get me wrong, we have neighbor kids over all the time. In fact, the boys have attached themselves to the 5 year old twins (a boy and girl) across the street. But that's just it, when things go bad, they live right across the street so they go home and vice versa when my boys are over there.
I've found from my own personal situation that second grade seems to be "key" with Jay! He's gained maturity, manners and has formed solid friendships with some boys. He has two really good friends. Both boys have spent time at our house and what nice boys they are! Yesterday, Jay had one of these boys over and I told his mother I would bring him home within 3 hours. Those boys could have played in the yard all day together and before I knew it, it was time for him to go home. The time flew! They built a "fort" in the pine tree and I would see them go out into the timber to get more sticks for their fort, talking and laughing together the entire time!! Now that is some good boy fun if I ever saw it.


No comments: