Sunday, August 19, 2012

Reflections on the summer of 2012

Our summer began well and ended well......in between was good too.  We took off to Tennessee as soon as school let out.  Jay and Nick spent their summer in pools, on their four wheelers, eating ice cream and going to the movies with their Nana.  As usual they will begin school tomorrow looking like brown bears!  I enjoy summer but I am always, I repeat always (ha), ready for school to start.  Why?  Mostly because my children but especially Jay thrive on structure and routine and by mid-August Jay tends to walk around the house and the yard like a caged animal, trying to figure out what to do next.  I do a pretty good job keeping a fairly normal schedule for the boys during the summer but again by mid-August I have run out of ideas and perhaps patience.  I did things differently this summer by only having a babysitter in my house 2 days a week and it worked so much better for everyone.  Will I still need a babysitter to come to my house at least 2 days a week next summer - Yes!  On Mondays the boys went to a camp in Bloomington.  On Fridays they went to my friend, Amy's, house where Jay got to play with his good buddy, Aaron and Nick got to hang out with the boys also.  It was a win win situation for both Amy and I.  On Wednesdays Jay stayed home with me while I worked and Nick went to daycare.  It worked out well and gave the boys a nice variety.  I will do things very similiar next summer with one exception.  I will sign Jay up for a basketball camp or have him participate in some kind of sport.  He will fight me tooth and nail but I've learned Jay desperately needs the structure and challenge that organized sports provides.  He needs something to help him stayed focused and challenged.  Despite what he may think, riding his four wheeler around his trails isn't the organized sport I'm talking about. 
So, tomorrow I'll get up bright and early and prepare breakfast for my 1st and 5th grader.  I'll take pictures of them on the front stoop as I do every year and sigh.......knowing another school year is about to begin and the summer of 2012 will be officially behind us. 

No comments: