Thursday, August 30, 2012

Deodorant, Cologne & Teen Disney shows....Oh my!

I have a 10 year old boy going on 14.  I hear my friends who have girls say this often so I'm a little taken back that I'm now saying it about my 10 year old but it's true.  There have been certain clues that I've wanted to ignore but no longer.  And it's all happened within the last 2-3 weeks.  It started with Jay wearing deodorant.  Mike and I gently encouraged him to start wearing deodorant about 4 weeks ago - not because he smelled but we wanted him to create a habit because he may not smell now but he will!  Personally I knew it was a long shot as we have to remind him daily to use soap in the bath tub!  And his hair is another story!  But after school started he said his P.E. teacher insisted all the 5th graders keep deodorant in their lockers to use after P.E..  Then this last week I've noticed when he gets off the bus from school he has a very clean smell.  The first day I just asked, "Who smells like clean laundry and why?"  Jay fessed up it was him.  His friend Zane had given him some at school.  Apparently Zane had an extra bottle and Jay keeps it in his backpack.  He sprays his cologne at school.  I'm sure the teachers "love" it.  Then all of the sudden Jay went from watching Phineas and Ferb to watching Selena Gomez on some Waverly something show on Disney.  I mean really - when and why is this happening?  I'm not ready yet but then will I ever be ready?  Jay is really fighting for more independence too.  It's hard on me.  It comes easier for Mike but he's dad, I'm mom.  He thinks I know nothing and walks a fine line of thinking I'm lame but knowing full well disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.  I try not to lecture but I know I cross that line but everything can be a teachable moment, right?  Unfortunately, I'm not sure Jay appreciates what I'm trying to teach him but I'll keep moving forward.  Watching Jay getting older is bittersweet.  His dry sense of humor makes me laugh daily and one thing that hasn't changed is his insistence I put him to bed every night.  I get a chance (however brief it may be) to chat with him, rub his back and just hang with him.  He may talk about four wheeling, passing gas or football but I enjoy it. 

No comments: