Friday, September 13, 2013

Ice cream makes everything better

The other morning Nick got out of bed complaining that his tummy hurt.  He proceeded to wolf down his breakfast and when I asked him if he felt like he was going to throw up he said No.  He did not have a fever and honestly I just didn't think his "tummy ache" was bad enough to warrant missing an entire day of school.  I also didn't think he was faking it either.  Perhaps it was nerves, who knows. Nick wasn't thrilled that he was going to school with his tummy ache when suddenly I had a brilliant idea - ice cream.  I asked Nick if a bowl of ice cream might help soothe his tummy.  His eyes lit up and he jubilantly said Yes!  I scooped him some of that sweet vanilla with chocolate syrup of course and he happily ate it on our drive to school.  I could hear the spoon clinking against the bowl the entire drive.  Perhaps this wasn't one of my best mothering moments but by the time we got to school Nick had forgotten all about his tummy ache.  He jumped out of the car  with a wave goodbye and started chatting with his friends.........probably telling them his mother gave him ice cream for breakfast which isn't really true.  When I shared this story with my mom her response was, "Wouldn't it be great if ice cream could always make everything better for our kids?"  Yes it would.  Ice cream may not solve all the problems we face but it sure makes things a little better, right?

No comments: