Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Transitions

The school year is well under way and things are going very well, so well that I hesitate to even put it in writing and jinx myself.  Starting school this year has been the smoothest start we've ever had EVEH!  Why is that you ask?  I think it's a variety of things.  First with Jay I think he was more than ready to start middle school.  He likes being more independent and remember my love/hate relationship I use to have with sports?  Well I now officially LOVE sports.  Jay has cross country every night after school.  I was so nervous about him adjusting and handling school, practice and homework.  Sometimes the things I can get most worked up about turn out to be fine.  I think Jay is using his time at school wisely to get his homework done and I also think the tutoring he had this summer helped him (he won't admit that but as his mother I really think it helped).  Plus now that Jay is involved in cross country there is no time for any "playing" during the week.  I'm a huge advocate of play but honestly with a middle school boy, ya gotta keep him busy.  Jay's schedule during the week consists of school, practice, homework and now once a week small group at church.  His play time during the week consists of playing with his brother in the yard.  As for Nick his transition into second grade has also gone smoothly.  He loves his teacher and says "math is fun."  I also think it's been really nice for Nick to come home and get one on one attention from Mike and I with no distractions from his brother.  While it's true the boys don't see each other as often (neither of them really seem to care about that) I think it's been really good for Nick to have a little space and have things be all about him.  I remember last year 5th grade was all consuming for Jay and I.  The truth is Jay's homework took priority so everyday after school Jay and Mike or Jay and I would be engaged in heavy duty homework while Nick often had to wait his turn.  I am really enjoying meeting Nick at the bus stop everyday and giving him my full attention as he chatters on about his day.  There is no denying we are really busy right now but I welcome it.  I enjoy my summers but at the same time I am always ready to get back to school and start a routine.  I'm thankful we are off to a good start!

No comments: