Thursday, November 7, 2013

6th grade awesomeness

Since it's been so long since I last blogged I wanted to post some random pics and No we did not get a new dog but my good friend, Laura did.  She got a golden lab, Stella.  Jay adores her! 
We are now 10 weeks into the school year and how's it going for Jay?  The only word I can think of to describe the school year thus far is AWESOME!  I doubt there will ever come a time when I won't remember Jay's start into 6th grade.  You have to understand a few things about Jay.  School has been a struggle for him.  Fifth grade was well kind of a thorn in my side and his.  Jay is also my child that requires more of me - more energy, more direction, more talking......you get the idea.  Many, many times I have called my mom on the verge of tears wondering out loud to her if I'd ever get that boy raised and raised well.  I spend a lot of time on my knees in prayer for both my boys.  In early September I was in tears with Mike again questioning how we were ever going to make it through this long, winding road we call parenting.  Mike was quick to remind me we aren't going backwards, only forwards.  Sixth grade started and I noticed Jay was sailing right along.  He had good grades and very little missed assignments.  He was keeping a grueling schedule with his cross country, small group at church and school but he was juggling it all quite well.  Apparently at age 11, you really can have it all.  Ha!  Recently he was "Spartan of the week."  In order to be Spartan of the week one has to be nominated by his or her teachers for hard work, kindness towards others, good decision making skills - basically just being a good kid.  And Jay got this award!  Just last weekend he dog sat for his principal who happens to be our neighbor.  I figured if Jay was a goon at school then his principal wouldn't have asked him to take care of his dog!  Then on Oct. 30.........a day I'll say will go down in infamy for me I attended Jay's IEP meeting.  An IEP meeting can be intimidating.  You are surrounded by teachers, a psychologist and a social worker.  On average there are about eight people at a middle school IEP meeting.  The meeting started off with Jay's English teacher, Mrs. Griffin, saying Jay was polite, kind, an extremely hard worker and if she could have 20 Jay's in her classroom then she would have it made.  Jay's special ed teacher went on to say Jay is one of the hardest workers she's seen, he gives 110%  with all of his school work.  When he's in her class at the end of the day for extra help he finishes his work and then helps other students!!  His teachers said he advocates for himself, asks questions and is all and all just a good kid!  I was amazed and was just trying to soak up every second of the kind words being spoken about my son.  Then another mother contacted me just the other day to tell me how much she appreciated Jay helping her son get around school b/c her son had leg surgery and was on crutches for several weeks.  She said her son so appreciated Jay's kindness.
I'm so proud of Jay.  I feel like the woman who is trying desperately to lose weight but every week she gets on the scale only to discover she didn't lose the weight she hoped she would or she remained the exact same weight she was the week before.  Despite all her efforts there was no movement until finally one day she got on the scale and wa-la she had a colossal weight loss.  All her hard work had paid off, it just took awhile to see some of the results.  With weight loss and parenting, we all need some of those moments where we realize it's worth the blood, sweat and tears we put into it.

No comments: