Friday, November 22, 2013

Jay's "big" secret & Nick's misconception of time

My boys always provide me with some kind of entertainment on a daily basis.  While it's true some of that entertainment makes me feel like I want to check myself into the "funny farm" for a weeks vacation, it's still entertainment and I try to see the humor in it.  Yesterday the boys did provide me with some good, non-crazy, entertainment.  Perhaps using the word entertainment isn't the right word for Jay's story.  Perhaps satisfaction is a better word.  In passing yesterday Jay said to me, "Mom, if I tell you a secret do you promise not to tell?"  Hearing those words from your child would make any parent stand at attention and what better way to share Jay's secret than to put it on my blog (Hey, at least it's not Facebook).  I thought Jay was going to tell me something terrible but instead he said "I wouldn't want anyone to know but I really like school."  It made my heart sing.  Jay likes school this year for many reasons, the independence is one of them but mostly it's because he finally feels successful at it. 
Nick's story is more entertaining.  Gee, imagine that?  Nick is my entertainer in the family.  Nick has always had a hard time with time.  Ask him the days of the week and he'll pause, make a solid attempt at naming them and mess it up somewhere between Saturday and Sunday.  And Yes, he's in second grade.  Clearly the days of the week are tripping him up a bit.  Yesterday he asked me point blank and quite serious I might add if I was alive when Abraham Lincoln was president.  Seriously Nick.........how old do you think I am?  When I told him that even his great grandma wasn't alive during that time period he seemed to grasp (somewhat) the time period.  After I got over my initial shock that Nick thought I was 140-some years old I laughed at the good ole entertainment! 

No comments: